Yuqing’s Topic 4 blog

The reading articles of topic 4 mainly focus on the relationship between open education resources and teaching methods. The main purpose of open education resources mentioned in the article is to give other students the opportunity to supplement learning resources, so as to improve students’ understanding of knowledge. I think the main advantage of this is to avoid the generation of Disposable assignments. Disposable assignments means that students have completed an assignment, but the assignment has not been made public, and others have not been publicly allowed to refer to and modify the assignment. These permissions prevent students from creating higher value with this assignment. This situation often exists in my student career. When I finish a paper and submit it to the professor, I get a score. At the end of the semester, I will delete this document and it will never be used again.  After reading this article, I think it is a waste of some teaching resources. If possible, students can allow professors to upload their homework on the network to provide future students with more ideas. Future students can enrich these homework on the current basis and create more academic value. This can not only facilitate others’ learning, but also make their homework more perfect.

If I become a teacher, I will aim to design tasks that pass all four parts. I think this can maximize the benefits of each assignment. Renewable assignments is not only a way to make assignments public, but also a way to share everyone’s ideas.In this way, students continue to learn new knowledge and get new inspiration. I think this is the advantage that another methods can not achieve. At the same time, I think this approach also needs the full attention of the professor. For example, the article mentioned the task of students creating Wikipedia together. I think professors need to read it in time and ensure its accuracy so as not to mislead the public.

In short, I think there are two main benefits of opening the assignment permission when the student copyright is obtained. First, it can accelerate the improvement of students’ understanding of the course. Second, it can reduce the pressure that students may have because of buying textbooks.

Reference:

Wiley, D. & Hilton, J. (2018). Defining OER-enabled Pedagogy. International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, 19(4).

1. alexli

Hi Yuqing,
    I enjoyed reading your discussion. I’m glad that you are inspired by this topic and willing to adapt when you become a teacher. I agree that it’s hard to monitor the resources provided by the students. There should be more peer reviewing and reviewing by experts before it should be published and shared.
    Regards,
    Alex